What type(s) of travellers would you recommend to visit Sri Lanka?
Sri Lanka is suitable for those who are into photography, adventures and culture.
How long would you recommend for one to spend there?
10 to 14 days.
What are the top things to do in Sri Lanka that you would recommend?
1. Railway between Kandy and Ella
– Relaxing and scenic!
– Except for 1st class seats, tickets are really cheap.
2. Climb Adam’s Peak
– Physically challenging (5000+ steps) but extremely rewarding even though there’s no guarantee of a clear view at the top.
– Took 3.5hrs to climb, starting at 2am.
3. Nine Arch Bridge (Ella)
– Interesting experience to walk the railway track and watch the train go across the bridge.
– Check train timings beforehand and get there at least 30 minutes early.
What are the top food places in Sri Lanka that you would recommend?
1. Ponnie’s Kitchen (Galle)
– Extremely chill cafe with beautifully colourful healthy food.
2. Indian Hut
– Really good butter chicken curry!
3. King Coconut
– Local fruit that is sold almost everywhere.
– Refreshing and majorly thirst-quenching.
Any recommendations on where to stay in Sri Lanka?
When is a good time of the year to visit Sri Lanka?
How should one get around in Sri Lanka?
Railway or private hire car with driver.
Are there any local norms / cultures that a tourist should be aware of?
What are the acceptable payment currencies and modes in Sri Lanka?
Cash in Sri Lankan Rupees, credit cards only at major establishments.
Any other tips/things to be aware of?
How should one stay connected to the internet in Sri Lanka?
Buy prepaid sim at the airport – be aware of daytime and nighttime data packages.
Cost of Trip
Airfare – Emirates from Singapore to Colombo at SGD 600.
Accommodation – Varies a lot depending on city.
Food – About SGD10 for casual dining.
Transport – Railway SGD1-2, private car with driver SGD90 per day
Miscellaneous – Some parts of the country are very under developed, it’ll be hard to avoid these places totally, so be prepared to rough it out sometimes.
Tell us a bit about yourself
I always have a mix of comfort and adventure on my trips, love taking landscape photos and experiencing local cultures. Follow my instagram @dessmind