What type(s) of travellers would your recommendations for Rio de Janerio, Brazil suit?
My recommendations for Rio de Janerio, Brazil suit would suit couples, families and those who love nature.
How many days would you recommend for one to spend in Rio de Janerio, Brazil ?
3 days 2 nights.
The following food and sight recommendations for Rio de Janerio are saved in a list here to help you plan your trip.
What are the top things to do in Rio de Janerio, Brazil that you would recommend?
1. Christ the Redeemer / Corcovado
– The iconic symbol of Brazil and a MUST to visit
– Taking the bus from the main square is the most convenient way (~Real60)
– Be sure to check that the weather is clear before heading up (morning sun is better for photos). There are also mats provided for your friend to lie down and snap that photo for you!
– The crowd can be a pain but that’s what everyone’s there for.
Address: Parque Nacional da Tijuca – Alto da Boa Vista, Rio de Janeiro – RJ, Brazil (View on Google Maps)
2. Jardine Botanico
– For nature lovers, the botanic gardens has a beautiful layout for one to weave through the gardens and explore the different types of cactus, ferns, orchids, roses, etc. from all over the world
– Admission costs Real15 and you may want to enter from the side entrance to avoid the long queues.
Address: R. Jardim Botânico, 1008 – Jardim Botânico, Rio de Janeiro – RJ, 22460-030, Brazil (View on Google Maps)
3. Ipanema and Copacabana Beach
– ONLY for the beach lovers
– It is packed the entire day, and even at night the lights come on and the beach volleyball, frisbee, football lovers will be there.
– Grab a coconut and hang out by the beach, take a swim and bask in the warm sun!
– Be wary of your items as it can get very crowded at times.
What are the top things to eat in Rio de Janerio, Brazil that you would recommend?
1. Churrascaria Palace
– When in Brazil, you must try the Churassco-style food!
– A little on the high-end side (~Real170) but the online reviews raved about this place and we decided to try it out after a long day at the beach.
– It was one of the best experiences (great salad selection, excellent service) and all kinds of meat were cooked and served right before us. Highly recommended!
Address: R. Rodolfo Dantas, 16 – Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro – RJ, 22020-040, Brazil (View on Google Maps)
2. Confeitaria Colombo (Colombo Bakery)
– A very classic and historical building near Carioca station (central area).
– A must-go-to (even the walking tour guides will take you there) but hard to find a place to sit down for a meal.
– The selection of savoury and sweet bites was very good and you can see why it has been opened since 1894.
Address: R. Gonçalves Dias, 32 – Centro, Rio de Janeiro – RJ, 20050-030, Brazil (View on Google Maps)
– A local cocktail prepared using cachaça, lime juice and sugar typically but many places exhibit their creativity with different flavours as well.
– You can easily find it almost anywhere (especially if you are heading out to La Paz for a party).
The above food and sight recommendations for Rio de Janerio, Brazil are saved in a list here to help you plan your trip.
Any recommendations on where to stay in Rio de Janerio, Brazil?
When is a good time of the year to visit Rio de Janerio, Brazil?
How should one get around in Rio de Janerio, Brazil?
You can easily get around on the public metro/buses and taxis. We used Uber as it was the most convenient.
What are the acceptable payment currencies and modes in Rio de Janerio, Brazil?
USD and Brazilian Real.
Any other tips/things to be aware of in Rio de Janerio, Brazil?
How should one stay connected to the internet in Rio De Janerio, Brazil?
A pre-paid card from Claro / TIM is sufficient (get a local to help with the setup).
Cost of Trip
Airfare – We flew from Lima, Peru to Rio de Janerio, Brazil for ~SGD700 on our South America tour; but a flight from Singapore to Brazil ranges between SGD2,600 – SGD3,000.
Accommodation – Hotel Monte Castello (3star) for SGD60-80 per night
Food – About SGD10 per person at a cafe (pastries and a drink) and about SGD10-15 per person for a simple meal (Por Kilo)
Transport – Public transports are calculated on a per trip basis (so plan your routes in advance), otherwise Uber.
Miscellaneous – Do also check out the Sugarloaf Mountain and catch the sunset (unfortunately we missed it as we spent too much time at the Jardine Botanico), we arrived at the top just when the sun set (15 minutes earlier would have been perfect). The admission ticket includes the cable car to the top for Real80.
Tell us a bit about yourself
I love the outdoors and adventure – whenever possible, I take trips out of the city areas to explore the nature (be it national parks, hiking trails, mountains, to the beach etc.)