What type(s) of travellers would you recommend to visit Melbourne?
Melbourne is ideal for nature lovers, adventure-seekers and couples looking for a romantic getaway.
How long would you recommend for one to spend in Melbourne?
6 days 5 nights.
What are the top things to do in Melbourne that you would recommend?
1. Great Ocean Road – Twelve Apostles
It’s an approximate 4-hour drive from Melbourne to the Twelve Apostles, here’s a suggested route:
– Melbourne to Lorne (beach town for lunch, we’ll have a post on Lorne soon!)
– Lorne to Apollo Bay
– Apollo Bay to Otway National Park (driving through the lush greenery surrounded by tall emergents is a whole new experience)
– Otway National Park to Port Campbell (get your cameras ready for the iconic Twelve Apostles)
– Port Campbell to Port Fairy (lookout for Loch Ard Gorge, Logans Beach)
– Return to Melbourne (be prepared for no streetlamps, only reflectors on the road)
2. Yarra Valley
– Book a full day winery tour from yarravalleywinetastingtours.com.au (AU$130 per pax)
– Pickups from Melbourne CBD
– Visit a selection of 5 of the Yarra Valley’s boutique family wineries
– Includes a visit to a local wine and cider producing smaller winery
– Lunch at Fergussons Winery
– Visit the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie (Factory)
– Book in advance on skydive.com.au
– Highly dependent on weather (we were denied our jump on the first attempt due to inclement weather)
– The crew eased our anxiety on the way up to the sky by maintaining constant communication
– The 3-second countdown before THE JUMP felt like eternity
– The free-fall from 15,000ft was amazing but the thin air can be a challenge for some
– You wished you could stop the clock when gliding in the air after the chute opens
What are the top things to eat in Melbourne that you would recommend?
1. Fish and Chips at Queen Victoria Market
– Fish & Chips is surprisingly good!
Any recommendations on where to stay in Melbourne?
When is a good time of the year to visit Melbourne?
How should one get around?
Rent a car and drive!
Are there any local norms/cultures that a tourist should be aware of?
What are the acceptable payment currencies and modes?
Cash (AUD) and credit cards are accepted.
Any other tips/things to be aware of?
How should one stay connected to the internet?
Buy temporary sim card from amaysim (around AU$40 for unlimited data).
Cost of Trip
Airfare – Singapore to Melbourne – Tiger Air + Jetstar – S$660.
Accommodation – AirBnB, 5 nights, 6 pax, total S$457 per pax (Get SGD45 off your first trip of S$100 and more here.)
Food – about AU$10-15 each for a cafe, AU$20-40 for restaurants.
Transport – Car rental at approximately AU$80 per day
Tell us a bit about yourself
Exploring, experiencing and meeting new sights, culture and people are what excite me about travelling. The desire to share these experiences motivated me to build a travel application with my team at Away Nation, to help travellers plan and book their trips based on recommendations from friends and locals.