The following food and sight recommendations for Hengchun, Taiwan are saved in a list here on Away Nation to help you plan your trip quickly and easily!
Note: The Hengchun area is more commonly referred to as Kenting, though Kenting is merely the street name and the name of the national park.
What type(s) of travellers would your recommendations for Hengchun, Taiwan suit?
My recommendations for Hengchun will suit foodies, backpackers and those who love photography!
How many days would you recommend for one to spend in Hengchun, Taiwan?
Depends – 2 days 1 night if you are just eating and sightseeing.
What are the top things to do in Hengchun, Taiwan that you would recommend?
1. Visit Paradise of Deer 鹿境梅花鹿生態園區
– A small enclosed area with deers that you can pat and feed
– Hold the deer feed high as the deers get super excited
– Safe for children
– Admission ticket of [$9] includes a coupon that can be exchanged for beverage, souvenir, or deer feed.
Address: No. 1097-1, Henggong Road, Hengchun Township, Pingtung County, Taiwan 946
2. Walk on coral reef rocks near Chuan Fan Rock 船帆石風景區
– Manoeuvre your way across coral reef rocks and get a cool photography shot
– Figure out who Chuan Fan rock is supposed to resemble
– No admission fee
Addresses: 946, Taiwan, 屏東縣恆春鎮鵝鑾里
3. Walk up the hill to Eluanbi lighthouse 鵝鑾鼻燈塔
– An iconic landmark of Hengchun/Kenting that was built in the Qing dynastry in the 18th century
– Only armed lighthouse in the world with gun holes in the trench wall
– Vast greenery surrounding the lighthouse where you can enjoy the breeze (reminded me of the Twilight baseball scene)
– Admission fee of NTD60 (~USD2)
Address: No. 90號, Dengta Road, Hengchun Township, Pingtung County, Taiwan 946
4. Shop for a unique souvenir near Eluanbi Lighthouse
– Have not seen this anywhere else, good gifts for families or couples to wish them good health, happiness, etc.
– Items are handcrafted and based on the 12 Chinese Zodiac animals, which you can mix and match to represent members of a family or a couple
– Animals can be rotated: Towards each other to signify “I love you” or away from each other to signify “I’m still angry with you”
Address: In one of the shops facing the carpark at the entrance of the Eluanbi Lighthouse
5. Shake your way through the Gangkou Suspension Bridge 港口吊橋
– There’s honestly nothing much about the bridge, just for the fun of it, especially when the strong wind blows and shakes the whole bridge
– There is a park on the other side of it if you dare to explore…
– NTD20 bridge maintenance fee
Address: Chashan Road, 滿洲鄉 Pingtung County, Taiwan 947
6. Challenge yourself to walk to the edge of the cliff at Longpan Park 龍磐公園
– During winter, the wind is madly strong – secure or remove all belongings that may be blown away e.g. caps
– Upon reaching the edge, you will (supposedly) see a cliff with coral rocks
– We did not manage to walk to the edge as the wind was simply too strong
– No admission fee
Address: Hengchun Township, Pingtung County, Taiwan 946
NOTE: If you are going to Hengchun/Kenting with a group of friends, do check out their go-kart scene!
What are the top things to eat in Hengchun, Taiwan that you would recommend?
1. Handmade Egg Rolls at Yu Zhen Xiang 玉珍香
– These handmade egg rolls are the best I have ever eaten – it’s crisp, yet soft
– Available in various flavours including black sesame, onion, cheese
– Samples are available!
Address: No. 80號, Zhongshan Road, Hengchun Township, Pingtung County, Taiwan 946
2. Freshly-handmade Mua Chee (Glutinous Rice Balls / Mochi) at 白羊道柴烧麻糬
– Glutinous rice balls are made right in front of you
– You will be notified of the waiting time once you place your order – mine was 15 minutes
– Explore this little hole in the wall with decor that brings you back in time
Address: No. 188號, Zhongshan Road, Hengchun Township, Pingtung County, Taiwan 946
3. Freshly made gelato at Terreno Gelato 沃土義大利冰淇淋
– All-natural flavouring Italian gelato (NTD80 for a scoop, NTD110 for a double scoop)
– Serves other baked goods as well
– Interesting decor
– Situated across Ah Jia’s home (the home of the main character in a movie set from Cape No. 7)
Address: No. 88, Guangming Road, Hengchun Township, Pingtung County, Taiwan 946
4. Fresh seafood
– Value-for-money fresh sashimi (Salmon, swordfish)
– Other seafood are fresh but not that value for money
– We had fresh oysters, clams (two types), prawns, squid, scallops and vegetable for a total of ~NTD2500 (~USD80)
Address: Secret – but our driver knows where it is!
5. Kenting Street night market 墾丁街夜市
– Stalls lining up both sides of Kenting main street, with a few repeated ones
– Love the deep fried milk cubes
– Mr Ball is a stall that looked enticing but we found the meat patty a tad too salty
– Many seafood stalls but we did not try – heard they are pretty fresh!
Address: Kenting main street – 946, Taiwan, Pingtung County, Hengchun Township, 墾丁路海濱巷5號
The above food and sight recommendations for Hengchun, Taiwan are saved in a list here on Away Nation to help you plan your trip quickly and easily!
Any recommendations on where to stay in Hengchun, Taiwan?
Dawan area – accommodation faces the beach and is a 5-minute walk to Kenting main street.
When is a good time of the year to visit Hengchun, Taiwan?
December to February – when the weather is cool and tides are high (for surfing).
How should one get around in Hengchun, Taiwan?
Rent a scooter – no license required. Or hire a driver, like we did! Plan a personalised trip at Away Nation and request for a driver with a button here [@luke to update]
What are the acceptable payment currencies and modes in Hengchun, Taiwan?
Taiwan Dollars (NTD / TWD). Most places only accept cash and there is no money changer around.
Any other tips/things to be aware of in Hengchun, Taiwan?
It can get really windy!
How should one stay connected to the internet in Hengchun, Taiwan?
With a prepaid local 4G SIM card. I booked mine with Klook and collected upon arrival at Taoyuan airport. You could also select other airport pick ups! Check it out here.
Cost of Trip
Airfare – Singapore to Taipei – Budget airlines during the off-peak season can go as low as roughly SGD200
Accommodation – SGD30 per pax for a twin room in a 3-star accommodation
Food – A range from SGD1 for street food to SGD35 per pax for seafood
Transport – TWD4500 per day (8-hour) hire from Kaohsiung to Kenting and back
Tell us a bit about yourself
I love exploring and learning about new things, creating experiences, capturing and sharing moments. As such, I am currently building a travel application with my team at Away Nation, which aims to help travellers plan their trips based on recommendations from travel writers, friends and locals, do check it out!