What type(s) of travellers would your recommendations for Edinburgh suit?
Solo travellers, backpackers and those who are into culture.
How long would you recommend for one to spend there?
3 days 2 nights.
What are the top things to do in Edinburgh that you would recommend?
1. Catching a comedy show
– There’s something happening every night at Monkey Barrel Comedy club
– Edinburgh is an excellent place for comedy – especially if you love good British humour
– Students get to watch some shows for free!
2. Join a free (out of the ordinary) walking tour
– There are many free walking tours available with different themes (haunted walking tour, adults only walking tour, etc.)
– It’s advisable to leave the tour guide a tip after the walking tour. £5 is a good start and of course, give more if you find it exceptional!
3. Take a hike up Arthur’s Seat
– It’s a volcanic formation in Edinburgh
– Easily accessible and walkable from the city
– Wear good shoes especially if it is rainy
– Enjoy a panoramic view of Edinburgh from the top!
What are the top things to eat in Edinburgh that you would recommend?
1. Coffee at Papii cafe
– Good coffee and food at affordable prices
Any recommendations on where to stay in Edinburgh?
When is a good time of the year to visit?
How should one get around?
Are there any local norms / cultures that a tourist should be aware of?
What are the acceptable payment currencies and modes?
GBP, credit cards.
Any other tips/things to be aware of?
How should one stay connected to the internet?
Free Wifi is available in the city.
Cost of Trip
Airfare – 22 EUR from Eindhoven to Edinburgh (thanks Ryanair).
Accommodation – Castle Rock Hostel, from £12 per bed
Food – £10-£20
Transport – Walking is free 🙂
Tell us a bit about yourself
I’m currently a student in the Netherlands with the goal of completing a master’s degree and seeing as much of Europe as I can 🙂